Wither you have oily skin, combination or dry skin, the harsh winter weather is a dreadful time of year for you. One day you wake up with flaky, dry patches on your face on which makeup never lays gracefully. To avoid those dull dry days no matter what your skin type is, try out these easy and gentle tips !
1. Moisturise, Honey!
No matter what skin type you are, even if you are the oiliest of all, you should ALWAYS moisturise. Even during the sweaty summer time, you should be moisturising everyday especially before your makeup. But during the winter especially, the cold dry air could strip your skin of its moisture and causes cracks and flakiness. Not only on your face, but also your body (elbows, knees, knuckles, lips). To avoid that annoying tight feeling and flaky dry skin, keep a face moisturiser, lip conditioner, cuticle cream and body lotion always available in your kit. Here’s a tip, almost every bag I own has a mini hand cream and chap-stick available so I don’t have to deal with moving around product every time I change my bags.
- Oily skin /combination high-end: Clinique Pep Start moisturiser. This one does not break you out and great before applying makeup.
- Oily skin/combination drugstore: Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture.
- Dry Skin high-end: Kiehl’s Pure Vitality Skin Renewing Cream
- Dry Skin drugstore: Neutrogena Deep Moisture Day Cream or Neutrogena Hydra Boost Serum and lotion.
If you find yourself still not moistruised enough and extra dry, try a skin oil. However, if you have oily/combination skin, I do not recommend you use a skin oil since it may clog your pores and cause breakouts.
2. Use your Toner religiously!
Using toner at least twice a day can help maintain a balanced skin pH level and offer a bit of moisture throughout the day. Use a gentle nourishing toner on a cotton pad at least once in the morning and once before you go to bed after you cleanse your face.
Recommended Tonic Lotions:
- Clarins Extra-Comfort Toning Lotion
- Clarins Toning Lotion with Iris
- Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Toner (this one is magical for combination skin)
- Simple Soothing Facial Toner
- L’Oreal Hydra Fresh Toner
- Olay Refreshing Toner
3. Finally, Exfoliate!
Exfoliation is the god of all skin-care gods! Not only will it get rid of all the flakiness and leave your skin smoothe like a baby’s butt, but it will also help with your skin-cell turn over and thus help clear out any spots or acne you might have. Really, the best of both worlds! Use a gentle exfoliator 2 times a week and you are good to go! Your makeup will wear beautifully after it!
- Caudalie Gentle Buffing Cream
- Caudalie Deep Cleansing Exfoliator
- Kiehl’s Pineapple Papaya Facial Scrub
- Clinique 7 Day Scrub
- Simply Kind to Skin Smoothing Facial Scrub
- Garnier Clean+Invigorating Daily Scrub
And that is about it! These 3 simply skin-care tips have sure helped me maintain a glowing complexion flake free during the cold winter days! Try them out and let me know!